Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Pet rats nails cause hives on my skin, will it stop?

I have 2 baby pet rats.. I LOVE them to death, they're the sweetest things ever!! ..But.. I have really sensitive skin and I knew this before I got them, but their nails bother my skin and give me hives wherever their nails touch me. I wear a sweatshirt whenever I hold them or play with them, but they love to climb around my neck where the sweat shirt doesn't cover and I get hives there, and sometimes on the backs of my hands. I do my best not to scratch cause that might irritate it more. But my question is, Will my skin get used to it after time so that I wont get hives anymore? Or will it never stop and I'll just have to deal with it..?Pet rats nails cause hives on my skin, will it stop?
I'm a hobby breeder, and I have the same problem. I have learned to keep their cages as clean as possible, and keep a bottle of the benadryl spray around. I get hives and red marks too, but the benadryl gets rid of the irritation. You may also consider having them walk across an aloe vera type huggies baby wipe. That will clean a bunch of the allergen type stuff on their nails off and it won't bother you so much. If you do all of this stuff and it is till unbearable then you have more info. to make a decision. These things handle the problem for me, and help me to continue enjoying these amazing animals!Pet rats nails cause hives on my skin, will it stop?
I have this problem too with my baby rats. I had an adult rat before as a pet, and he never gave me a rash... these babies do though. I don't know what the difference is.

Report Abuse



Most likely you are allergic to rats. If that is the case, no it will never stop. You may want to consult an allergist for testing to be sure though.
if ur getting hives maybe ur alergic or something to them . i would take them to the vet and see if there is an infection under there nails first. cuz if there is u might be allergic to that instead. but most likely ur allergic to ur rats
Sounds like your allergic. Just make sure you wash up with soap and water real well after handling your rats.

No comments:

Post a Comment