Friday, May 14, 2010

How do I cut my little dogs toe nails?

How do I know if I'm cutting my dogs nails too closeHow do I cut my little dogs toe nails?
Best to get it done at the vet. The way you will know you cut too close is when it starts to bleed profusely.How do I cut my little dogs toe nails?
Here is an excellent site for you to look at. Perfectly clear photos make this easier to understand as well.





If the quick gets cut,it's nothing for you to panic about and rush her to the vet. Styptic pencils will help stop the extremely small flow of blood. Or if that is not available baking soda pasted with water will work just as well.
Dog groomer.
I cut my dogs nails all the time. You said it was a small dog? does it have Black nails? if so you should be able to look under and see a white line it's called the quick. Do not cut that or up past that otherwise it will bleed(if that happens you can put cornstarch on it to stop the bleeding, while you get to a vet) if the Dog has White nails you should be able to see the quick without turning the nail over. just cut alittle off the tips and you should be fine.
Take it to a professional vet, he'll either do it himself or tell you how.
in a dogs nail [unless the have black nails, then you should take him/her to a groomer] the nail changes color. it goes from pink to white. when you cut the nail, make sure you DO NOT cut into the pink. when you cut the nail, there should still be a tiny bit of white still left.. if by accident you cut to short and it bleeds [the dog will yelp, but only for a second] put some water on a paper towel or towel, and then put some baking soda on it and place it on the edge of the dogs nail.. it'll help stop the bleeding..





if you'd like me to explain more in detail.. feel free to email me..





goodluck, and just take your time with it.
The best way to find out is to do a little research. You will know when you cut them too close, but if you read about what you need to look for in order NOT to cut them too close, you will do fine:-)
If you don't know how to cut your dogs nails properly I wouldn't do it. If you cut it too close it will bleed. You could always just take your dog to a local groomer or your vet.
take the dog to the vet,,,because it might seem like a easy thing to do but you might hurt the dog...
w/ toenails clippers...duh!!

No comments:

Post a Comment