Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I have tried everything to keep my 8-month-old's nails short, but she still scratches herself! Help!?

I clip her nails every other day and I even file them now. They still feel sharp when she grabs my face (the little munchkin) and she scratches herself at night. I don't like putting gloves or anything on her because she loves sucking on her fingers while she sleeps. Has anyone else been through this?I have tried everything to keep my 8-month-old's nails short, but she still scratches herself! Help!?
We clip and file and he still scratches. Actually, the other day I think he scratched his face with his TOENAIL.





My husband does them nearly every day and I agree, when he grabs my face they still feel sharp -- they are so fine that even rounded over, it feels a bit like little papercuts.





He is getting better at not doing it. Though he did manage to grab his nose and *draw blood* about fifteen minutes before my MIL arrived for a visit. Just so I could hear her say ';You know, you have to cut their nails...';





Gloves wouldn't last on him for a second. He pulls his socks off with his mouth, gloves would be even easier.I have tried everything to keep my 8-month-old's nails short, but she still scratches herself! Help!?
What I did to my then thumb sucking little baby girl is to put cool comfy mittens on her when she's active to prevent herself from scratching her face but then I air out her hands often. at night I'd only put mittens on her when she'd fallen asleep and had stop sucking her thumb. the mittens cannot be pulled if you ribbon the strings twice (or even thrice) just make sure there is enough room around the wrist but that is too small for the whole hand to slip :o)





you can also cut a hole around the thumb area of the mitten so she can stick our her thumb and at the same time minimizes the exposure of her other nails (I believe they normally scratch their face more with the other four fingers than with the thumb itself). you may also cut her softened nails after bath time so you get all the nicks. use a baby nail clipper to make sure you're getting far down the nails without cutting her skin.
My son is 11 months now, and has had this same problem forever. Every few days or weeks he'll have a new scratch on his face. I think it's just a baby thing that they have to grow out of.
My one month old son is the same way. I clip them and he still seems to scratch himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment